Since Source Audio recently released a synth pedal, it seems appropriate for them to follow it up with a filter one, since filters are an unmissable component in synthesizers… Enter Spectrum, which will make history also for being the first Source Audio pedal ever with non-descriptive graphics!
Sporting the usual 3-way toggle switch and four knobs shared by all Source Audio’s compact models, the Spectrum is a stereo stompbox with external expression and tap tempo control that offers three modes inspired by classic filter pedals of the past like the Mu-Tron and the Lovetone Meatball, with 8 settings editable directly from the pedal (thanks to alternate functions accessible by pressing the alt button) and many more accessible via MIDI and through the Neuro editing app, available both for iOS and Android.
As you can imagine, this circuits delivers either attack-driven envelop filter (Tron and Dumpling modes) or autowah (Thrust mode).
Neuro gives you access to additional filter, octave, and distortion blocks to create highly unique effects. In the app you’ll also find space for 128 presets (you can store 6 on the pedal) and a growing library of tones.
The Spectrum Intelligent Filter is the most powerful stereo filter effect pedal ever created. Building on almost 15 years of filter pedal technology and know-how, Spectrum is the culmination of our finest envelope sounds and best thinking on how to easily incorporate those sounds into rigs of all types. The pedal not only features finely crafted envelope filter effects inspired by some of the most iconic and sought-after effects pedals on the market, it also includes buzzing, synth-like octave and distortion effects. The pedal is a cleverly integrated, all-in-one jam/funk machine. Whether you want to easily plug and play with its six carefully crafted factory sounds, browse the ever-growing Neuro library for additional sounds created by Source Audio and other Spectrum owners, or use the Neuro’s deep sound editing tools to create your own presets, this filter pedal will satisfy the needs of any bass or guitar player.
Plug In and PlayThe Spectrum Intelligent Filter was designed with special attention given to the simple plug-and-play experience. Right out of the box the Spectrum offers easy access to tones inspired by some of the most iconic and difficult to find envelope filters effects pedals on the market. It also offers synth-like tones comprised of distorted octave and envelope phaser sounds. Because of the pedal’s ALT button, the Spectrum’s four knob control surface actually offers access to eight different parameters. Use the Spectrum’s Input Gain, Sensitivity and Speed controls to dial in the perfect envelope response for your needs. Maybe you like a slow and smooth envelope movement while you really dig-in on the strings, or possibly you want a quick moving filter that responds to light picking – either way is achievable with the Spectrum.? The Frequency, Resonance, Depth and Mix controls provide fine control over the color and character of your filter effects. Whatever your needs, the Spectrum is the most comprehensive filter effects pedal available.The Neuro Editing SystemsOn the surface, the Spectrum Intelligent Filter features a simple 4-knob interface and a choice of six amazing guitar/bass envelope filter effects – just plug-in and play. If you want to take things to take things a bit further, we urge that you connect the Spectrum to our Neuro Preset Editing & Browsing tools. The Neuro Mobile App is available for free at the App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android). The Neuro Desktop Editor is available as a free download for Mac or Windows systems on our Downloads page. Inside Neuro you will find the tools to create your own one-of-a-kind envelope tone. Use the Spectrum’s collection of two parallel filter voices, octave up or down effects, and distortion to dial in that perfect tone. The Neuro also offers a growing collection of additional envelope filter presets created by the Source Audio team as well as the ever-expanding community of Spectrum users – just touch the screen to open a preset in your Spectrum. If you like what you hear, hit the BURN button and upload the preset to any of the pedal’s six toggle switch positions.
Additional Features and Specifications
- Six Onboard Presets: Choose from six different onboard envelope filter effects. Vintage sounds include effects inspired by the iconic Mu-Tron© and Lovetone Meatball© pedals, as well as contemporary envelopes with thumping octave-down effects and buzzing synth-like tones.
- Simple 4-Knob Control Panel: Adjust 8 different parameters with 4 knobs. Primary controls include Input Level, Modulation Depth, Frequency Starting Point, and Envelope Speed. Alternate controls (accessible by pressing the ALT button) include Envelope Sensitivity, Wet/Dry Mix, Resonance, and Output Volume.
- Excellent Envelope Filter Response: Use the Spectrum’s Input Gain, Sensitivity and Speed controls to dial in the perfect envelope response for your needs. Maybe you like slow and smooth envelope movement while you really dig-in on the strings, or possibly you want a quick moving filter that responds to light picking – either way is achievable with the Spectrum.
- Growing Library of Published Presets: For quick access to a world of great tones, try sampling sounds from a vast collection of published presets created by the Source Audio team and the ever-growing Spectrum Neuro Community.
- Unprecedented Sound Sculpting Options: The powerful Neuro Desktop Editor (Free download for Mac and Windows) and Neuro Mobile App (iOS and Android) offer maximum sound exploration possibilities. Use Neuro’s additional filter, octave, and distortion blocks to create highly unique effects.
- Supreme Tracking: If tracking matters to you (and it should), you will be amazed by the lightning quick response from the Spectrum’s octave effects.
- 128 MIDI Accessible Factory Presets – The addition of a third party MIDI controller with USB host provides access to any of the pedal’s 128 Factory presets.?
- Stereo Inputs and Outputs: Use the Neuro Editor’s panning controls to route each Voice to any location in a full stereo spread.
- Compact Design – The durable, anodized aluminum housing has a small footprint and sturdy hardware. Dimensions: L: 4.5 in./11.4cm x W: 2.75 in./7cm x H: 2 in./5.1cm (including knobs).
- Universal BypassTM – Select either analog buffered or relay based True Bypass.
- USB Port – Class compliant USB-MIDI allows the Spectrum to work as a plug-and-play device with recording software running on Mac and Windows recording software or any third party MIDI controller with USB host. The USB port also offers connectivity to the Neuro Desktop Editor providing access to deep editing possibilities and pedal firmware updates.
- ?External Expression and Tap Tempo Control — Use the Control Input jack with the Source Audio Dual Expression Pedal (expression control to multiple parameters) or Tap Switch (adjust LFO rates on the fly).