NYC’s Tech 21 was the first company to introduce the idea of a skinny, light, all in one, analog, portable pedal “bar” featuring all the essential effects for the average guitarist. Created with travel in mind, the Fly Rig 5 was the first product of a series that went on to comprise several devices with different tonal and effect flavors, including a couple of signature ones.
At NAMM 2019 the builder introduced V2 of the Fly Rig 5, featuring an edgier design and some changes (mostly a “best of user requests”). This pedal maintains the signature Fender amp voicing from Tech 21’s time tested SanSamp analog amp emulation technology (more precisely from their Blond pedal) followed, in this order, by a Boost, a Plexi style overdrive, a delay and a reverb (although the Boost can now be switched to post-overdrive to just add volume).
Among the new features:
- You now have a choice of a Plexi tone with its muscular crunch or the 70’s style Cali high gain amp tone.
- The boost can be placed pre- or post- drive.
- There’s a new effects loop for connecting outboard pedals
- The speaker simulator can now be disabled on the 1/4 inch output
- The Delay includes a switch to change from 1/4-notes to dotted 8ths and a new Drift button that adds a random, unpredictable element to the modulation.
- Tap tempo was added to control the delay
- An board chromatic tuner was added
Today we have the first official video of this new FlyRig, but check out also the video John shot at our NAMM 2019 booth with 60 Cycle Hum.
The original Fly Rig, introduced in 2014, was a true game-changer for players in all categories, from touring pros to bedroom hobbyists. At a time when pedalboards were expanding and backs were breaking, the innovative Fly Rig enabled players to slim down without sacrificing great tone, and travel without fear of baggage surcharges and dreaded mystery backlines.
Going beyond being just a multi-effects unit, the all-analog SansAmp technology enables any Tech 21 Fly?Rig to be an actual “rig.” You can run directly into mixers of recording desks and PA systems, as well as augment your existing amplifier set-up. Always seeking to improve our offerings and listening to customer feedback, we’ve incorporated some new features to follow the same form factor as later Fly Rigs, such as the Bass, Acoustic, and Paul Landers Signature PL1.
The Fly Rig 5 v2 retains the same SansAmp heart, Plexi/Cali distortion and Delay, but adds a few twists and turns within these sections. New features include an independent reverb with choice of room size, an effect loop, a tuner, headphone capability and an XLR Output.
Has the tonality of the Blonde Character Series pedal. It includes 3-band active EQ, Level and Drive controls. To dirty things up, you have the flexibility of using the Drive control, the Boost function, or you can add grit from the Plexi/Cali section. Or all three. Each method achieves different tones.
PLEXI / CALI
Provides the dirtier side of the Fly Rig. You have a choice of a roaring Plexi tone with its muscular crunch, detailed mids and mule-kick low end or the chunk of a ‘70s high gain amp tone inspired by the then-boutique shop over on the West Coast. Each mode can be dialed in to your liking with dedicated Drive, Tone and Level controls.
Switchable Pre/Post Boost up to approx 12dB to beef up drive and distortion or increase the overall volume to punch up fills and solos.
DELAY WITH TAP TEMPO
Voiced for the sounds of a vintage tape echo, with Time and Repeats controls. The Delay includes a switch to change from 1/4-notes to dotted 8ths. A Drift button adds a random, unpredictable element to the modulation in keeping with its vintage roots.
Independent footswitchable reverb with choice of large and small “room sizes.”
Post-SansAmp, pre-effects to patch in external effect pedals.
Chromatic Tuner, operable via the BLONDE/TUNER footswitch. You simply hold the footswitch down to engage, which simultaneously mutes the signal path.
• 1/4-inch 1megOhm input
• XLR?output with ground lift
• 1/4-inch low impedance output
• Headphone button switches the 1/4” output into headphone mode
• Rugged, all-metal housing
• Metal footswitches and jacks
• Silent-switching, custom footswitch actuators
• Measures 12.5”l x 2.5”w x 1.25”h • Weight: 20.7 oz.
• Utilizes included 9V DC Universal Power Supply: Model #DC9. “Auto-switching,” self-adjusting 100V-240V, 200mA. Includes interchangeable international prong assemblies for EU, UK, Australia/New Zealand for use anywhere in the world.